Whether you’re going on a camping trip, tailgating, or just enjoying a day outdoors, a high-quality cooler is a must-have to keep your drinks and food fresh and cool. Two of the best coolers on the market are the Yeti Roadie 24 and Tundra 35. But which one is better? Let’s take a closer look at these two coolers and compare them.
|Feature||Yeti Roadie 24||Yeti Tundra 35|
|Capacity||Holds 18 cans with a 2:1 ice-to-can ratio or 24 lbs of just ice||Up to 20 cans with a recommended 2:1 ice-to-contents ratio|
|Dimensions||16 1/2” L × 14 1/2”W × 17 1/2” H||20 in long x 16 1/8 in wide x 15 1/4 in high|
|Weight||10% lighter than the Roadie 20||20 lbs|
|Construction||Rotomolded construction, thinner and lighter-weight||Rotomolded construction, armored to the core|
|Insulation||Performs 30% better thermally||Up to 3 inches of PermaFrost insulation|
|Bear-Resistant||Not specified||Certified bear-resistant|
|Latches||QuickLatch for easy one-handed access||T-Rex Lid Latches with patented keeper technology|
|Dry Goods Basket||Not included||Comes standard with one dry goods basket|
Design and Capacity
The Yeti Roadie 24 and Tundra 35 are both rotomolded coolers that can handle the rigors of outdoor life. However, they differ in terms of their design and capacity.
- The Yeti Roadie 24 is 10% lighter than the Roadie 20, but it holds 20% more. It also features a taller build than its predecessor, which allows it to accommodate a standard bottle of wine (or 2-liter bottle) upright. It measures 16 1/2” L × 14 1/2”W × 17 1/2” H and can hold 18 cans with a 2:1 ice-to-can ratio or 24 lbs of ice.
- The Yeti Tundra 35 is portable enough for one person to haul while still having an impressive carrying capacity of up to 20 cans with a recommended 2:1 ice-to-contents ratio. It measures 20 in long x 16 1/8 in wide x 15 1/4 in high and has an empty weight of 20 lbs. It comes standard with one dry goods basket.
One of the most critical factors to consider when choosing a cooler is its thermal performance. How well can it keep your drinks and food cold? Let’s compare the thermal performance of the Yeti Roadie 24 vs Tundra 35:
- The Yeti Roadie 24 features quicklatch technology that ensures simple and quick access to your drinks and food. It also performs 30% better thermally than its predecessor, which means it can keep your food and drinks cool for an extended period.
- The Yeti Tundra 35, on the other hand, features up to 3 inches of PermaFrost Insulation and an extra thick FatWall design, which helps keep your drinks and food cold for longer. It is also certified bear-resistant, making it a reliable option for camping trips.
Latches and Handles
Another important consideration when choosing a cooler is the quality of its latches and handles. Let’s compare the latches and handles of the Yeti Roadie 24 vs Tundra 35:
- The Yeti Roadie 24 features flexible and quicklatch technology, which makes it easy to access your drinks and food with one hand. It also has a comfortable handle for easy transportation.
- The Yeti Tundra 35 features T-Rex Lid Latches constructed of heavy-duty rubber, which ensures a tight seal and prevents the latches from breaking. It also has sturdy handles that make it easy to carry, even when fully loaded.
Finally, it’s important to consider the durability of a cooler, especially if you plan on using it outdoors regularly. Let’s compare the durability of the Yeti Roadie 24 vs Tundra 35:
- The Yeti Roadie 24 is designed to be thinner and lighter-weight for easier transport, but it still incredibly tough due to its rotomolded construction.
- The Yeti Tundra 35, on the other hand, is built like a tank with a rotomolded construction that makes it virtually indestructible. It is also certified bear-resistant, making it an ideal choice for camping or hiking trips where you need to protect your food from bears and other wildlife.
Now that we have taken a look at the features of both the Yeti Roadie 24 and Tundra 35, let’s compare them side by side.
Yeti Roadie 24 vs Tundra 35: A Comparison
Design and Construction
- The Yeti Roadie 24 is 10% lighter than the Roadie 20, has a taller build, and can hold 20% more.
- The Tundra 35 is larger than the Roadie 24 and has an extra thick FatWall design for superior insulation.
- Both coolers feature rotomolded construction, making them incredibly tough and durable.
- The Roadie 24 can hold up to 18 cans with a 2:1 ice-to-can ratio or 24 lbs of ice.
- The Tundra 35 has a carrying capacity of up to 20 cans with a 2:1 ice-to-contents ratio.
- The Roadie 24 is more compact and easier to transport, while the Tundra 35 offers more space for your food and drinks.
- The Roadie 24 performs 30% better thermally than the Roadie 20, thanks to its taller build and improved insulation.
- The Tundra 35 features up to 3 inches of PermaFrost Insulation for superior ice retention.
- Both coolers are designed to keep your food and drinks cold for longer periods, even in hot weather.
Latches and Handles
- The Roadie 24 features a QuickLatch system for easy, one-handed access to your food and drinks.
- The Tundra 35 has T-Rex Lid Latches made of heavy-duty rubber for added durability.
- Both coolers have comfortable handles that make them easy to carry, even when fully loaded.
- The Tundra 35 is certified bear-resistant, making it an ideal choice for camping and hiking trips in bear country.
- The Roadie 24 does not have a bear-resistant certification, but it is still built to be tough and durable.
Dry Goods Basket
- The Tundra 35 comes standard with a dry goods basket, making it easy to separate your food and drinks from other items in the cooler.
- The Roadie 24 does not come with a dry goods basket, but you can purchase one separately.
Final Verdict – Which One is Perfect for You?
Both the Yeti Roadie 24 and Tundra 35 are high-quality coolers that offer superior insulation, durability, and ice retention. The Roadie 24 is more compact and easier to transport, while the Tundra 35 offers more space and is certified bear-resistant. Ultimately, the choice between these two coolers will depend on your specific needs and preferences.
If you are looking for a smaller, more portable cooler, the Roadie 24 may be the best choice for you. However, if you need more space and want a cooler that can withstand the toughest conditions, the Tundra 35 is the way to go.