When it comes to high-performance coolers, YETI is a brand that stands out from the rest. Their Roadie series is particularly popular for its rugged durability and exceptional ice retention.
However, choosing between the YETI Roadie 20 vs 24 can be a daunting task for those who are not familiar with their differences.
It’s important to note that as of 2020, YETI has discontinued manufacturing the Roadie 20 cooler. However, some online stores may still have it available for purchase.
Despite its discontinuation, the Roadie 20 is still a popular choice among outdoor enthusiasts and remains a comparable model to the Roadie 24.
In this article, we’ll compare the features and specifications of both the Roadie 20 and Roadie 24 to help you make an informed decision about which cooler is right for you.
Overview of YETI Roadie 20 Cooler
The YETI Roadie 20 Cooler is the ultimate accessory for anyone who loves outdoor adventures. With extra-thick walls that contain proprietary PermaFrost™ insulation, this cooler is pressure injected to give it excellent resistance to outside temperatures. This feature ensures that your food and drinks will stay fresh for longer periods of time, even in extreme weather conditions.
The rotomolded polyethylene construction used in the Roadie 20 is the same process used to make whitewater kayaks. This guarantees the cooler’s excellent impact resistance and long-lasting durability, making it the ideal companion for any outdoor activity.
YETI coolers are designed to handle extremely low temperatures and are compatible with dry ice, which provides about three times the cooling power of regular ice.
The Roadie cooler has an impressive 18.9-liter capacity that can hold up to 12 cans and plenty of ice, and it’s designed to accommodate long-neck bottles.
The Roadie lid doesn’t just close; it seals shut with a freezer-quality gasket around the entire lid to minimize air exchange. The durable rubber T-latches fit in the molded latch keepers on the cooler to ensure the lid stays closed, even when the cooler is bumped around on rough terrain.
The Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee has certified the Roadie 20 as a bear-resistant food container when used with two padlocks (not included), one on each of the front corners.
The cooler also has tie-down slots molded into the body for solid mounting in your boat or truck. Straps are sold separately, and the cooler can be secured while allowing access to the inside.
A full-length, rustproof aluminum rod connects and holds the body and lid together, while hinge stops are molded in the lid to prevent the hinge from breaking. The screw-in gasketed drain plug won’t leak, and you can partially unscrew the plug to drain water.
The full-length stainless-steel handle locks upright for easy transportation, and non-marking rubber feet on the bottom of the cooler keep it from sliding around the deck of your boat.
Overall, the YETI Roadie 20 Cooler is an excellent investment for anyone who enjoys spending time outdoors and wants to keep their food and drinks fresh for longer.
Overview of YETI Roadie 24 Cooler
The YETI Roadie 24 Cooler is the ultimate outdoor companion for those who enjoy cold drinks and snacks while on the go. Designed to be an upgrade of its predecessor Roadie 20, the Roadie 24 boasts several features that make it stand out from other coolers in its class.
One of the most notable upgrades is its 10% lighter weight, which makes it easier to transport. This is due to its rotomolded construction, which has evolved to be thinner and lighter while still maintaining its incredible toughness.
Despite its lighter weight, the Roadie 24 can still hold 20% more than its predecessor, making it an excellent option for long trips or large gatherings.
Another significant improvement is its 30% better thermal performance, ensuring that your drinks and snacks stay cold for longer periods.
The Roadie 24’s QuickLatch feature makes it incredibly easy to access your cooler’s contents, even with just one hand. This flexible and simple feature is perfect for people who want quick access to their refreshments without having to fumble around with complicated locking mechanisms.
Thanks to its taller build, the Roadie 24 can now accommodate a standard bottle of wine (or even a two-liter bottle) upright, making it an ideal fit behind the driver’s or passenger’s seat of a car. Its overall dimensions are 16.7 x 14 x 17.4 inches, and it can hold up to 18 cans with a 2:1 ice-to-can ratio or 24 lbs of ice alone.
Whether you’re out for a day of fishing, a weekend camping trip, or just enjoying a picnic at the park, the YETI Roadie 24 Cooler is an excellent choice for keeping your drinks and snacks cool and fresh. Its improved features and sleek design make it a must-have for any outdoor enthusiast who values quality and durability in their gear.
Differences Between the Roadie 20 and 24
The YETI Roadie 20 and Roadie 24 Coolers have some notable differences.
- Firstly, the Roadie 24 is 10% lighter in weight and holds 20% more than the Roadie 20. This means you can carry more supplies while still enjoying a lightweight cooler.
- The Roadie 24 is also taller than the Roadie 20, which allows it to accommodate a standard bottle of wine or a 2-liter bottle upright. This feature makes it a better fit behind the driver’s or passenger’s seat of a car.
- Another significant difference is the thermal performance. The Roadie 24 is designed to perform 30% better thermally than the Roadie 20. This means it can keep your food and drinks colder for longer periods of time.
- The construction of the two coolers also differs. The Roadie 24 is built using the rotomolded technique, which has evolved to be thinner and lighter-weight for easier transport, while still being incredibly tough. In contrast, the Roadie 20 is made of rotomolded polyethylene construction, the same process used to make whitewater kayaks, ensuring excellent impact resistance and long-lasting durability.
- Finally, the QuickLatch feature of the Roadie 24 is another difference between the two coolers. This flexible, simple, and one-handed cooler access system ensures that you can quickly and easily access your food and drinks without fumbling around with multiple latches. The Roadie 20, on the other hand, has durable rubber T-latches that fit in the molded latch keepers on the cooler to ensure the lid stays closed.
In summary, the YETI Roadie 24 is lighter, taller, and holds more than the Roadie 20, while also performing better thermally. It also has a QuickLatch feature and is made using a thinner and lighter-weight rotomolded technique.
Similarities in Roadie 20 and 24
The YETI Roadie 20 and Roadie 24 Coolers share some similarities despite their differences. Some common similarities are:
- Both coolers have extra-thick walls containing proprietary PermaFrost insulation that is pressure injected, giving them excellent resistance to outside temperatures. This feature ensures that your food and drinks stay cold for longer periods of time.
- Both coolers are also built using the rotomolded technique, which provides excellent impact resistance and long-lasting durability. Additionally, both coolers are designed to handle extremely low temperatures and are compatible with dry ice, which provides about 3 times the cooling power of regular ice.
- The lid of both coolers seals shut with a freezer-quality gasket around the entire lid to minimize air exchange, ensuring that your food and drinks stay cold for longer periods of time. The latch system of the Roadie 20 and QuickLatch feature of the Roadie 24 are designed to keep the lid securely closed and minimize air exchange.
- Both coolers also have tie-down slots molded into the cooler body for solid mounting in your boat or truck, allowing the cooler to be secured while still providing access to the inside. Additionally, both coolers have a full-length, rustproof aluminum rod connecting and holding the body and lid together, with hinge stops molded into the lid to prevent hinge breakage.
So, the YETI Roadie 20 and Roadie 24 Coolers share similarities in their insulation, rotomolded construction, compatibility with dry ice, lid gasket, latch system, tie-down slots, hinge design, drain plug, handle, and rubber feet.
Verdict – Which One to Buy?
The YETI Roadie 20 Cooler has a 19.9 qt capacity, can hold 12 cans, and plenty of ice. It is a great option for those who need a small cooler for day trips, outdoor activities, or for use in a car or truck. It is also certified as a bear-resistant food container, making it a suitable choice for camping or hiking in bear country.
On the other hand, the YETI Roadie 24 Cooler is 10% lighter than the Roadie 20 and has a taller build, making it able to accommodate a standard bottle of wine upright. It is an excellent choice for those who need more space for their food and drinks or for longer trips. The QuickLatch feature of the Roadie 24 makes it easier to access the cooler with one hand, which can be helpful in certain situations.
So, if you need a small cooler for day trips or outdoor activities, the YETI Roadie 20 Cooler is a great option. If you need more space for longer trips or want the ability to transport wine bottles upright, the YETI Roadie 24 Cooler is the better choice. Ultimately, the decision on which cooler to buy comes down to your individual needs and preferences.